Posted on: December 29, 2020 Posted by: Children Health Mag Comments: 0

This article was originally published here

Violence Vict. 2020 Dec 1;35(6):906-919. doi: 10.1891/VV-D-19-00122.

ABSTRACT

PURPOSE: Examine whether children with a prior child protective services (CPS) investigation had different healthcare utilization compared to children without a history of CPS investigations.

METHODS: The Children’s Health Assessment and Planning Survey assessed 6,492 primary caregivers of children ages 0-17 years residing in North Texas in 2015. Caregivers reported prior CPS investigations and child healthcare utilization (emergency department [ED] use, unmet medication needs, and unmet medical care needs).

PRINCIPLE FINDINGS: A total of 408 (5%) caregivers reported their child had a CPS investigation. Children with CPS investigations had greater odds of visiting the ED (OR = 1.9; 95% CI: 1.4, 2.5) and not receiving necessary medical care (OR = 1.9; 95% CI: 1.4, 2.8) compared to children without a CPS investigation.

CONCLUSIONS: Prior CPS investigation was associated with disparities in receipt of necessary medical care and ED utilization for children.

PMID:33372116 | DOI:10.1891/VV-D-19-00122